Sunday, March 16, 2014

Aunt Grace's Sunday School Lesson

Aunt Grace was ready for church.  She had only two blocks to walk, but, truth be told, it rankled her spirit a bit that she had to walk it by herself.  And that wasn't good for the development of worshipful attitude.  "C'mon, now Jeptha.  Throw on that shirt and go along with me."

"Now, Grace, you know I gotta replace the leathers in that pump.  An' besides, the Bible say, "The Lord help those who help themselves."

"Jeptha Miller, the Bible says no such thing.  It actually teaches that without God, we are helpless.  Besides, that pump will still be a-sittin' there after services are over."

Well, Aunt Grace started quoting scriptures, had the references, too.  "Isaiah 25:4 says, Thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in distress.   In Matthew 11:28 Jesus said, Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Romans 5:6 tells us For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

"Does that sound like we are taught to help ourselves?  Seems to me it says we are pretty helpless, but for the grace and strength of God."

Uncle Jep had shrugged his shirt on, and said nothing as he was buttoning the last of the buttons.

 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. –Psalm 46:1

5 comments:

Vee said...

Don't argue with those people who know scripture.

Sharkbytes said...

I think Aunt Grace got lucky. I've know a lot of people who wouldn't have put that shirt on.

vanilla said...

Vee, their citations trump objections.

Sharkey, I have known a number of those as well. And I once knew a minister whose wife wouldn't go to church.

Shelly said...

I always love to hear the Scriptures flying in conversation!

vanilla said...

Shelly, one is always careful in his responses when the scripture-quoter can cite chapter and verse!