Tuesday, February 1, 2011

More Winter Weather

(The following is a reprint of a post we put up on January 7 last year. Now I am hearing weather forecasts that suggest the possibility of a storm across the Midwest and the East that may be worse than "any storm in memory."

We are hopeful that all who are hit by this storm will stay safe. This can be no fun for anyone in the storm zone, and it has already been a winter of "too much" for too many.) I found an envelope in my desk tagged "Blizzard of 78." Inside were strips of 35mm black and white negatives. I no longer have equipment to print negatives via wet chemical processes, and I don't know anyone in the area who does this anymore. So, onto the scanner, into a folder in the computer, and with a good deal of "messing around" with two or three programs, I managed to "develop" these images.

The first shot shows me in front of our house. The rest of the pictures were taken at the school shortly after the snowfall stopped. I had to walk over a mile, through drifts and all, to get to the building.


From the inside looking out.

This January snow was delivered by winds in excess of sixty mph, and the howling went on for hours. There were still remnants of this snowfall on the ground in April.

As I write this in the warmth of my cozy home, though it is 11 degrees outside, I hear the "forecast" for a nasty storm to start tonight. It is not anticipated to be anything like the blizzard of '78, but for me, even four or five inches of snow is more than enough!

11 comments:

Lin said...

Do NOT come home yet, Vanilla! Stay warm and cozy and SNOWFREE wherever you are. We are gonna get hit BAD today. Eeeek!

Anonymous said...

I thought you were in Florida???

vanilla said...

Lin, too right. And just three days ago we were thinking about it.

Grace, we are. *grin*

Vee said...

Great pictures! I remember that storm. It's nice that you have the technology and expertise to develop your negatives using the computer.

It sounds as though Florida is feeling this storm, also. We have a little snow on our grass and it's 12 below.

Secondary Roads said...

I remember that blizzard. We lived in town and were not able to get out to go anywhere for two days.

Maybe they are wrong about the one headed this way? We can only hope.

vanilla said...

Vee, I shall try to avoid the appearance of gloating, but we've had no adverse weather situations here in south central Florida.

Chuck, I hope the memory of the previous storm is the worst scenario for you and that this winter is kinder to you.

Dapoppins said...

fantastic use of a scanner! Wow, what a storm. I remember bad'em's from when I was a childhood, but nothing like that...and I'm on the wrong side of the Mississippi to feel the brunt of this storm.

vanilla said...

Dapoppins, thanks. And if you don't feel the brunt of such a storm, consider yourself fortunate indeed.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Ah, that blizzard of '78! I was actually in the hospital, but the rest of the county had a tough time of it.

Mikki Black said...

So, I'm a few days late to the conversation, but there's a picture of a tiny, 2yr old me standing on my grandpa's sidewalk in '78. The snow is taller than I am, and I'm in this little dugout tunnel of a sidewalk. It's pretty great. I wonder if it's from the same storm? Bet it could be!

vanilla said...

Mikki, no doubt the same storm. It ranged widely over a huge part of the Midwest.