Friday, March 2, 2012

Preparedness

Surfing the web Monday evening when disaster struck. Suddenly the screen went berserk, and a warning alerted me to the frying of the hard-drive. Yes, it seems to be pretty much gone. What folders are left are empty.

Upset, angry, and disappointed with my fellow-man. Again. Yet to live at peace with myself and with my Maker, I forgive the dolt who perpetrated the wickedness. I forgive him for the act. I cannot forgive him for being an ass, because that is not what he did, it is who he is.

I notified some of my blog friends that I would be "out of business" after the twenty-ninth of February, for that was how deep the queue of posts extended. So how, you might ask, am I dealing with the crisis? Several pals in the blogosphere, Lin, Shelly, Chuck, and Shark, suggested that many communities have public libraries with internet access. True. Before I owned a laptop, one of my first visits in a community where we were encamped was to the public library. I have library cards from several communities in Mississippi and Texas, mostly so I could use the computers.

This town has a fine new library, opened three years ago, and they have a public-use computer room that sports forty-eight computers! It is well-used, too. But it is a four-mile scooter or bicycle ride each way.

So, how did I solve the problem? In addition to the new computer, I tucked the old Toshiba behind the seat and brought it along. I dug it out, updated the protection-ware, and voila! I seem to be in business. I'd cross my fingers, but I find it hard to type in that mode. And I am not superstitious anyway!

10 comments:

Shelly said...

I'm so glad you found a solution! And, I know what you mean about folks who have nothing better to do than write destructive virus programs. They do need some prayer.

Secondary Roads said...

Good to see you back my friend. You were well prepared.

Vee said...

Glad you are back in business! I do wonder what kind of people send viruses out to destroy the computers of people they don't even know.

Anonymous said...

It does make you angry enough to spit - I am now well stocked with 'puters including an external hard drive that I back up to - which is a good reminder - haven't done that in while. Excuse while I go set that up...

John Cowart said...

Hi Vanilla,

I heed your timely warning. I just finishing making backup discs of three book ms I've been working on for ages. You may have saved me a lot of grief. Thank you.

PS: my joke may be awful but I'll bet before the day is out you tell it to somebody else.

John Cowart

Lin said...

Hooray! I'm glad you are back so quickly.

It's a love/hate thing with computers. They are great while they are working. :)

Fortunately, you weren't gone too long!

vanilla said...

Shelly, too bad that people who have the capacity to do that don't put their talents to positive uses. We are all broken and flawed, but God's love is available to all who will receive it.

Chuck, indeed, I was sweating it, for you know about my addiction. "Hi, I'm Vanilla, and I'm a blogoholic."


Vee, unhappy people, I'm guessing. Someone once told me that Microsoft users are particularly susceptible to attack because some of these people simply hate Microsoft.

Grace, if my distress serves as an object lesson by which you can benefit, then my posting about it was worth the effort. Safe computering to you.

John, you have been working on those much too long to lose your effort. Glad you took heed and backed up. May only good things come your way.

vanilla said...

Lin, yes, I often hear myself saying, "I hate computers," only to find myself right back at it. You know me: can't stay away.

Sharkbytes said...

Awesome! I like being able to visit you (now that I'm home again)

vanilla said...

Shark, thank you! I am flattered that you returned from your trip and found time to "catch up" with STSTT.