Sunday, March 4, 2012

Onward Christian Soldiers

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. Certain Christian books and blogs have attracted my attention. What I am finding saddens me. Are Christians the only group in the world that leaves its wounded on the field of battle? The focus of many of the writers seems to be more on what is wrong with you, professor of Christ, than it is on Christ. Jesus is the focal point of Christianity. Without Christ and him resurrected and living today, the whole thing is a house of cards. But how are we to win the world if our efforts are directed toward condemning our own? They shoot horses, don't they? Yes, and some Christians seem determined to shoot fellow-Christians who have fallen along the way.

I believe Jesus, as he stepped into the boat and had it pushed away from the shore of Gennesseret because of the press of the crowd, addressed this very issue in the parable of the wheat and the tares.

The kingdom of heaven, he said, is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Yes, there are weeds growing within the Church, but Jesus is quite explicit regarding his instructions. Is it not likely that the Master can take care of the harvest? Would he not be able to differentiate between the grain and the weeds?

So why are we out there attacking one another? Your theology isn't sound. Your worship style is wrong. That's why. No, it is because we are not abiding by the commands of the Master. That's why.



Image: Jesus Teaching from a Boat by Annie Vallotton

8 comments:

Shelly said...

Oh, this is one of my soapboxes. Very well said.

Jim said...

But don't you know that *my* theology is righter than yours? It's my duty as a Christian to club you with it until you submit!

Vee said...

Hear, hear!

Secondary Roads said...

Amen. Well said my brother.

vanilla said...

Shelly, thank you. I am so glad that you are not one who will "shoot" me.

Jim, of course, I am sure you are following your Christian duty to club me into submission! Truth, I enjoy a good theological discussion as much as the next person, but I also believe Christians ca disagree on some points. "Study to show yourself approved..."

Vee, it seems this group is all on the same page!

Chuck, I do believe these things need to be said. Following Paul's lead, we need to "Warn them that are unruly, encourage the fainthearted, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man, but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
Rejoice evermore.
Pray without ceasing.
In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

John Cowart said...

Hi Vanilla,

I go nuts trying to root out the tares in my own life. so I take great comfort that at the end of the age, Somebody else decides what stays and what goes.

John

Sharkbytes said...

I have a very sad story on this topic. Someone approached Om a few weeks ago (actually a pastor) and asked, "Do you take alcoholics at the church you are attending?" What kind of question is that? Any church should "take" alcoholics, or liars or overeaters, or cheaters or whatever. Because we all are.

vanilla said...

Shark, any "church" that does not welcome the lost is nothing more than a social club, which is what it should call itself.