Thursday, August 8, 2013

Tick Magnet


In my younger day, I had a friend who considered himself to be somewhat of a "chick magnet."  He may have been right, for he seemed always to have a plethora of young ladies hanging about.  I have never been a chick magnet, but I may well be a tick magnet.  Two experiences in two days in  addition to numerous other incidents in the past seem to support the notion.

I am thinking that since Cookie went over the Rainbow Bridge that I am the only old dog left on the premises, which may account for this undesirable attraction I have for the little arachnids.  (Have I mentioned spider bites in the past?)

Sunday evening I had a burning sensation on my thigh.  I examined the spot and decided that I had again been subject to a spider attack.  Monday evening there was clearly a blister at the center of the wound.  I squoze it.

Fast forward to Monday evening.  I settled in the La Z Boy with a book.  As I turned a page, I glanced at my left wrist for no particular reason and spotted a tick attempting to burrow into the skin. I grasped the critter, and though he was reluctant to let go, I managed to dislodge and dispatch the varmint.

Tuesday, lunchtime.  We had been working in the yard, and a shower was in order before we ate.  As I removed the breeches, I noted a very black spot on the red spot I mentioned above.  It was a tick backing out, having apparently so deeply lodged within my hide that I did not know it was in there, and so I had hosted it for two days!

I am believing that I am healing now.  Nature is wonderful, but not all nature's creatures are welcome here!

6 comments:

Jim said...

Maybe nature is telling you to stay indoors. It's nature's way of sorting out the riff-raff.

Shelly said...

I HATE ticks! So glad you got rid of the ones attacking you~

Secondary Roads said...

Perhaps you could immobilize them with some tick tacks?

Or will it be the government charging you a tick tax?

Gotta think about that . . .

vanilla said...

Jim, so nature sends the riff-raff indoors and proceeds with its plans without them?

Shelly, while I am a self-described "arachnophile," I admit ticks are not my favorite critters.

Chuck, "tick tacks" indeed. The "tick tax" is worrisome, though, because our state never heard of a tax they didn't like; so as soon as they hear of this. . .

Anonymous said...

Ewwww!

vanilla said...

Grace, exactly!