Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Unpainted Lady



Half-mile west sits this elderly lady.  Unlike the old dame that I pictured last fall in accompaniment to a little verse, this building, while naked and without makeup,* is still occupied.   She is still loved, still someone's home.  But she is high-maintenance.  Perhaps heating and lighting consume the budget.  Makeup and frills are just not in the cards.

*My Daddy used to tell me, when I was barely out of knee-pants, "A little putty and a little paint makes a girl look like what she ain't."  Probably applies to old houses, too.




6 comments:

Vee said...

Very nice design. Someone with lots of money could make it into a showpiece.

vanilla said...

Vee, very true; and the key words are "lots of money."

Secondary Roads said...

Classic building, perhaps. Is it worth the maintenance?

vanilla said...

Chuck, it seems solid, and it is occupied. As to the question, I wouldn't do it.

Sharkbytes said...

My mom used to say "that house needs someone to love it" She's got beautiful bone structure.

vanilla said...

Sharkey, your mom's observation would hold true in this instance. My wife often speaks of the "bones" when assessing a house.