Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Jefferson at West

 Southwest corner
You will likely find us here, Tuesdays 6:30 to 7:55
and Sundays about noon.
 Northwest corner
If you are of the Presbyterian persuasion, you will
worship here.  And you will beat the rest of us to
the southwest corner.
 Northeast corner
The brick building behind the crabapple trees houses
the general offices of the company that owns and operates
the restaurant kittywampus, as well as many others.

 Southeast corner

See the yellow tape around the pumps?  See the pickup trucks by the doors?
Note that the signage is blank, no prices, no gas.
Bob and LuAnne Conaway have served us faithfully on this corner for more
than thirty years.  Now they will enjoy retirement, which is richly deserved,
but their cheerful, efficient and reliable service will be sorely missed.

I can't go on with this wordless Wednesday thing; I can neither keep my mouth shut,
nor can I keep my fingers off the keyboard.  Live with it.

Happy birthday to Joe Torre, born July 18, 1940.   Torre quote: 
"When we lost, I couldn't sleep at night. When we win, I can't sleep at night. But when you win, you wake up feeling better."   (...and you thought Casey Stengel had all the bases covered.)

11 comments:

Shelly said...

Enjoyed the look at this corner. There are those we know who have almost made it a competition about which church makes it to the lunch places first on Sundays. Very competitive, they are!

Anonymous said...

Ah, when I lived in NYC Joe Torre was important to me. When I would tell people there was no "s" at the end of my name, they would look at me blankly, then I would say "Torre", like Joe Torre. Then they would say "are you related?" and I would say "No, we just have the same last name".

Secondary Roads said...

I'll have to do a post about our closest intersection. No offices, no gas station, no church (it's a mile away) and no restaurant. Still, it suits me fine. Except where someone tore it all up cutting donuts in the clay and gravel, which has left it, as some folks say, "as rough as a cob." :-)

vanilla said...

Shelly, that church-goers competition must exist everywhere! Personally, I'm rather patient. I don't mind an eight-minute wait for a table, but twenty minutes does begin to stretch me a bit thin.

Grace, how convenient that was to have a famous-person reference when making sure people understood you name correctly!

Chuck, people will do the dumbest things just because they can, giving no thought for anyone else. Or if they do think of others, then the act is just dumb, it is malicious.

vanilla said...

", then the act is not just dumb, it is malicious."

Vee said...

Family businesses are disappearing with retirements, and corporations are taking over. These friendly, courteous people will no doubt be greatly missed by the Tipton residents who purchased fuel there.

Our church service starts at 10:00 a.m., so we usually arrive at an almost empty restaurant.

vanilla said...

Vee, it is a corporate world.

So, you spotted a 40-yd. headstart to the feedlot!

Sharkbytes said...

I like to look at streets and corners and figure out the order the buildings appeared. Nice tour.

vanilla said...

Shark, in this instance, if you guessed the church was first, you are right. Thank you.

Lin said...

I don't really have a corner to reference. Well, I guess I do, I just don't pay much attention to it.

I can't ever be wordless, so I have to call my Wednesdays "Semi-Wordless".

vanilla said...

Lin, haha. We call your semi-wordless Wednesdays "Lin's self-restraint. And we enjoy those, too.