Monday, March 9, 2009

Blessed Assurance



Phoebe Palmer was born March 9, 1839 in New York City, the daughter of evangelists Dr. Walter C. and Phoebe Palmer.
At the age of 16, she married Joseph F. Knapp, founder and second President of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. She wrote the music to over 500 hymns and church songs. One of the most recognized of these is "Blessed Assurance," a tune she played for her friend, Fanny J. Crosby. Phoebe asked her what the music said to her and she responded, "Why, it says blessed assurance, Jesus is mine." Ms. Crosby wrote the lyrics for the hymn.
After Mrs. Knapp was widowed, she gave much of her very great wealth to charity and was engaged in the Lord's work until her death in 1908.

Blessèd assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
Refrain
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.
Phoebe Palmer Knapp 1839 - 1908 RIP

No comments: