Sunday, February 1, 2009

Out of Bondage





Out of my bondage, sorrow and night, Jesus I come, Jesus I come,
Into thy freedom, gladness and light, Jesus I come to Thee.
Out of my sickness into thy health
Out of my sorrow into thy wealth
Out of my sin and into Thyself, Jesus I come to Thee.
[Congregational hymn]

Pastor Jose selected Exodus chapter three for the scripture lesson on which to base the first in his series, "The Names of God."
While we may see somewhat of the power and magnificence of God in His creation, it is only in study of the Bible that we can come to know God in an intimate relationship.
In the scripture lesson, Moses asks God who He is and His reply is, "I AM THAT I AM." He tells Moses to go to the elders and say "I AM" sent me. God presents Himself as JWHW, or Jehovah as we represent it in English. That is, God is a personal God, involved in the affairs of people. He sees our problems and helps provide solutions. He is a God who cares for people. (v. 7,9,16) Jehovah redeems; He is a deliverer. (v. 8, 17)
Sin has gotten us into a terrible problem from which we cannot extricate ourselves. God rescues us. He Saves.

[Painting by Arnold Friberg]

No comments: