Sunday, February 22, 2009

El Shaddai

This morning the congregation sang "Trust and Obey" and "All the Way My Savior Leads Me."
The choir presented a nice rendition of "The Old Rugged Cross." A ladies quartet sang "I Come to the Garden."
Pastor Jose's fourth sermon in his series 'The Names of God' presented God as El Shaddai, God the Almighty, omnipotent and All-sufficient.
The scripture lesson was from Genesis 17: 1 - 6, in which God speaks to Abram, who is 99 years of age, and tells him he is to be the father of nations. Abram, who is too old, who is dead to fatherhood, laughs. But God is He Who Gives Life. As it says in Romans, chapter four, "What God has promised, He is able to perform."
So, what must we do to receive the promise? First, we must be entirely dependent on God. Psalm 91:1 - 2: He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
And we must be obedient. Disobedience blocks God's promises to us.
So, position yourself to receive the promises by being dependent and obedient.

No comments: