Sunday, July 1, 2018

Klutzy Jesus? #T

I poured myself a nice mug of hot tea, walked into the living room and set it on the table next my recliner.  I seated myself, took up the cup and had a nice sip, swung my arm to the table and set the vessel down an inch past the end of the table.  Beverage, container and all landed on the floor, taking some care to splash a generous amount of the liquid on the front of the recliner as it descended.

I rose calmly from the chair, studiously ignoring Beloved's question, "How did you do that?"  I walked to the utility room and returned with a stack of Turkish towels that reside there for the purpose of mopping up when  the need arises.  I returned to the living room and painstakingly proceeded to clean up my mess.

As I worked this question impinged itself upon my mind:  Did Jesus ever commit a klutzy act such as, say, spilling a flask of wine on his mother's best rug?

Before you blurt out, "Don't be stupid, vanilla," consider this.  We tend to think of Jesus as perfect (which he was) and therefore incapable of committing a faux pas.  Now as I lifted my tired body from the chair to fetch the clean-up materials,  I was not nearly so calm inside though I bit my tongue, stifled my feelings and presented the external actions described in the second paragraph.  As I worked this scripture occurred to me:  "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

Now does not that suggest to you as it did to me that Jesus probably spilled a beverage, cracked a board during the construction of a fine table, or some similar experience of the like that we have?
Yet he lived a life without sin.

Be like Jesus.

Yes, that is the point of our relationship with God: we are to be like Him!

8 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

I agree- he was stuck in a human body, and sometimes those muscle groups just don't coordinate the way we intend.

vanilla said...

Sharkey, thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

Secondary Roads said...

There is a huge difference between sin and an oopsie. We are't given all the details of His life. See: John 21:25.

vanilla said...

Xhuxk, agreed. However I was thinking of the proclivity to a sinful reaction to the oopsie. Perhaps your mileage varies.

Sharkbytes said...

Hey, I like Mr. H's new name Xhuxk... sort of exhotic

vanilla said...

Shark, touch typist Misplaces fingers on keyboard.

Vee said...

Being human is the way Jesus understands us. Hard concept to get my little mind around since I know He was God.

vanilla said...

Vee, it is difficult to grasp. Keep the faith!