Monday, July 16, 2018

Weekend Adventures, part 1

 1.  Adventures in eating.

We loaded a few things in the Escape and made our escape from our humdrum existence, on the road and headed out!  About an hour down the road we were hungry and we were on the outskirts of a small city which we seldom visit.  On our left we spotted an eatery billing itself as a smokehouse.  Immediately I thought of Texas barbecue and a hankering for brisket overcame me; we wheeled into the parking lot.

We were greeted inside by pleasant surroundings and a pleasant hostess who showed us immediately to a table.  Our cheerful young waitress soon served our water and we placed our orders.  The food arrived, we ate.  I have little more to say than that it  was not the brisket I had in Rockport.

 Wall decor


BBBh was not offended but she did think this was, shall we say, not necessary.

Back on the road we soon found ourselves in a neighboring state.  Lots of singing and pleasant conversation and a couple hours later I remarked that I had had only two cups of coffee all day.  BBBH allowed as how she could stand a cup as well, so at the next exit, which promised only a gas station convenience store, we pulled off.  While she looked at trinkets and so on I ordered.  "Do you serve coffee here?"  "Sure! the high school girl said.  She turned, grasped something, and came back to me with three K-cup type gizmos in her hands.  "Which would you like?"  I looked behind her then and saw the one-cup coffee maker.  I picked my poison, told her two cups.

While the first cup was in the making, BBBH returned to the room.  "Where's the coffee?"  "It's brewing."  I will not repeat the remainder of the conversation, for you don't have the time.  Two cups were finally delivered at a cost of two bucks per.

BBBH doped hers up, as  is her wont, and went to a table.  One sip later, *sputter:sputter*  "Gag!  That is the worst coffee I ever tasted!"  She grabbed up the paper cup and headed to the counter.  I stayed at table drinking my coffee.  (I eventually managed to consume about a third of it.)  What went on at the counter I saw from the corner of my left eye.  She demanded her money back, asserting what she had already told me.  This of course required recourse to a "manager" who turned out to be a year older  than the server and and not nearly so bright, but I digress.  BBBH did get "her" refund, which she pocketed without regard to the fact that I bought in the first place.

We arrived at our destination an hour later.

5 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

Some of the k-cup coffee is good. I personally object to the packaging wastefulness. I'm not much of a complainer, but I did get McDonalds to give me a coupon for a free dinner salad based on that disaster I was given last week. My picture of the raw bacon got an immediate offer of restitution. (Not sure if you saw that FB post of mine)

Secondary Roads said...

Mama said there'd be days like this . . .

Lin said...

I don't care for the k-cups or Starbucks--which is what the young people think is good "coffee." Have fun on the road! I will be doing the same next week.

Grace said...

Bless her heart - I would never think of complaining about gas station coffee and demanding a refund (there are k-cups brands that are actually quite good, these were obviously not them!)

vanilla said...

Sharkey, we have a k-cup gizmo, a gift, and I use it, but with coffee from my own 32 oz can. Any white left showing on "cooked" bacon indicates that one has been offered an abomination. I did see you picture.

Chuck, and as always, Mama was right.

Lin, I have been in a Starbucks exactly twice, both times as guest of someone who thinks more of Starbucks than I do.

Grace, "Bless her heart" indeed. (And I have enough Southern heritage to "get" it. Anyway, a bad cup on coffee on occasion is a reminder to me that I am blessed for the most part with decent coffee. (Spoken by one who considers coffee primarily to be a caffeine-delivery system.)