Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Potted Meat #T

Remember that?  Potted meat, I mean, a pasty substance of indeterminate origin that came in a small can about the size of the can of tuna you just opened for lunch.  This post is going to remind you of that, or I just  did.

Every time I boot the computer a host of "sticky notes" pops up on the screen.  It is a collection of either scrambled eggs or the ruminations of a barely-hinged mind.  Or potted meat.  I am putting them here to save them in one spot, though what I saved them for in the first place eludes me at the moment.  I might want them someday.  Like the junk in the top left-hand drawer in the kitchen cabinet.

If you can't spread a little sunshine, at least don't spread manure-- unless you are a farmer.

He brings his own righteousness to church and leaves with the same thing.

Contemporary worship people, note: if you delete “when sorrows like sea billows,” from “It Is Well,” you’re left with ... a praise song. No poetry, no content.  --Aaron Belz

"There is a fine line between a joyful noise and a horrendous racket."  --Bob Warr


this little slight of mine
I'ma give it to you all the time
i'm gonna lay it on ya
doggone ya

lettuce and tomato sandwich
'cause the meat's in short supply
if you're still hungry eat a turnip
we'll all eat pie by and by.
-----(sung to the tune of "Let us have a little talk with Jesus. . .")

 He is educated way above his intelligence level and he is practicing professionally well beyond his level of competence.  Condition all too common, too frequently encountered these days.
educated beyond your intelligence.
In my reading recently I happened upon a  phrase the author used to describe a  character.  He  wrote, "Lowell was educated beyond his intelligence."

My father used a similar saying.  His comment would have been, "Lowell has more degrees than a thermometer, but not sense enough to pound sand in a rathole."

Why do I bring this up?  Simply this: there is a vast chasm between knowledge and wisdom.

It seems to me that we are living in an age of knowledge in which learning is prized above all else.  That is not entirely a bad thing, but that which we emphasize in the learning process is woefully incomplete and entirely inadequate to the building of individual character such that the society might function smoothly as an integral organism.  Witness the incivility of man to fellowman; the uncivil reactions and the mob mentality of the many who disagree with "the other side."
What we will ultimately witness is the ripping asunder of the society, chaos, anarchy, and who knows what.

(To be continued. . .)

5 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

We also called it "mystery meat." Nice collection you have gathered.

vanilla said...

Chuck, the mind, she is a marvel.

Sharkbytes said...

Potted meat was never on my list of favorites. Even Spam is higher. From my stickies which I managed to recover tonight: One may be emotionally healed, but scar tissue remains. And three words- I'll leave it to you to figure out why I saved them: catch, watch, latch

Ilene said...

Sand in a rat hole! I haven’t thought of that saying in awhile. Reflecting on that....Whoever thought that sand would keep rats in, or out? If only....
Last summer the exterminator explained to me the difference between squirrel holes and rat holes. Apparently rats burrow deep, and squirrels dig just deep enough to bury their nuts! So, I ponder, what is the sense in pounding sand into a rat hole? Surely if they burrow in, they can burrow back out!

vanilla said...

Sharkey, many wounds, physical, emotional, and mental, will heal, given proper treatment but most will leave their mark.

Ilene, so you have concluded that "pounding sand in a rat hole" is an exercise in futility. Oh, wait. That is what it means.