Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Thingamabob

Ever need one of these?  Do you know what to ask for?  I have known the correct terminology for many years, yet I can never remember it when I need to ask for one so I have to resort to "I need four large thin washers with a small hole."  Then the hardware person says, "Sure.  We have a large assortment of fender washers on aisle three."

How hard can it be to remember "fender washer"?

3/16 X 3/4 X 0.049" FENDER WASHER CARBON STEEL ZNCLRBy writing this the author hopes to amuse you, but more importantly he hopes to be able to ask for the item by name the next time he needs one.

6 comments:

Grace said...

Why is it called a fender washer? Can it only be used for fenders? And no, I've never needed one, that I know of...

Jono said...

In England they call them penny washers. I don't think they had much to do with fenders. I have a Fender guitar and there are none on it. :)

vanilla said...

Grace, they were originally used in automobile sheet metal work. There are many uses for fender washers, particularly where the pressure of the bolt and nut assembly should be distributed over a larger area.

Jono, also the Brits call a fender the "wing."

Secondary Roads said...

I've collected and used these and now I know their name. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary . . . yet again.

Lin said...

It's not just a big washer? Cuz that is what we call them here....

vanilla said...

Chuck, you are welcome.

Lin, yep, a big washer, and now you know the nomenclature.