Sunday, January 3, 2016

Ellis Allison

Legacy.  His legacy of love for Christ and his family; his legacy of service and caring for others.  These were topics of emphasis during the celebration of the life of Ellis S. Allison yesterday.

Tributes were offered by his employer, by his children and grandchildren, by his pastor.  It was evident that Ellis was loved, but I knew this because I, too, knew Ellis.  The man was a true Christian, one who wanted everyone he met to know Jesus too, even as he knew Him.  He was a people-person.  No tribute I could write could state better what was stated by Paul in his letter to the Philippians.  And this passage was read by the pastor:
 For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain.  If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer.  I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better;  but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.  --Philippians 1:21-24 (NRSV)

I have heard it said of many people upon their passing that they were "in a better place."  Never have I heard it said of anyone for whom I was more certain than I am that Ellis is with his Lord, Jesus Christ.

 

Ellis S. Ellison  1932 - 2015  RIP

No comments: