Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Old Folks at Home

Our little canine companion, Wiener by name, is a very cuddly little guy.  Before he came to us he had a companion, long-hair dachshund, with whom he shared a cage.  He has made the best of a lonely situation, what with living with two elderly human-types.

Wiener has a basketful of toys, squeak toys, fuzzy toys, balls, animals and so on.  He knows some of them by name.  For example, say, "Get the horsie,"  or "Go find your pig," and he will make the correct choice.  The pig is quite useful, too, for its squeak is exactly what is needed to call him in from outside, or from his hiding place if he has holed up somewhere.

We have two stuffed dogs which I refrain from calling "toys" for they were simply decor in our sunroom.  Wiener has adopted them, not as toys, but as companions for his afternoon naps.  He can often be seen sleeping with one or both of them.

We find that the guy is a bit of an oldster himself as witness the white in his muzzle.  Recent calculations estimate his true age at about fourteen.  This was determined by noting the age of a grandson when Wiener joined that family and the age of that grandson now. Now how could that kid be twenty-four years old?


9 comments:

Lin said...

Aw, that is sweet that he found a friend. Sorta sad that he had to leave behind his real one. I'd be the sucker that adopts them both because as a mom, I think everyone should have a friend.

Vee said...

Definitely a "don't bother me" moment.

Sharkbytes said...

That is very neat! Sounds like you have a bright and loving dog there. Fits in well.

vanilla said...

Lin, maybe he was humming, "I want a rag doggie I can call my own." I rather wanted to take his buddy too, but it just wouldn't work out.

Vee, he has those; and then there are those times when I want to be the "don't bother me" one.

Sharkey, he has adopted us and has become an excellent member of the family, er, ah, pack.



Secondary Roads said...

That looks so comforting. Makes me want to curl up an nap with them.

Grace said...

Sorry about the cage time - that makes me sad. But the photo? oh so sweet.

vanilla said...


Chuck, he is taking his ease!

Grace, he is a free-range dog now. Within the confines of our house and yard, of course.

Marsha Young said...

Great picture of a cozy moment. c.S. Lewis once wrote, "Treat your friends like family, and your pets like friends." :)
I agree and it looks like you do, too.

vanilla said...

Marsha, out dogs are pets, yes, but they are friends and family as well.