Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Conversations With Random People: Really?

And so it begins.  I did not get out until 10:15 this morning, but nevertheless there was still this patch of snow on the windshield.

What a way to start the day.  Regular readers of STSTT know how I feel about snow and cold; yet I choose not to complain today, for the next step of my day provided me with a lesson about grumpiness in old men.  To wit, one may be grumpy just because; but he need not shed the doom and gloom on everyone with whom he comes in contact.

I entered a local place of business to get needed maintenance on a vehicle.  It required a wait in the nicely furnished customer lounge area.  After having sat there long enough to look at most of the pictures in a motor magazine, the old guy opposite scooted over next to me.  He initiated this, not I, even though you may find that hard to believe.  Unlike previous reports of random conversations with strangers, there will be no quoting of the conversation this time.  Suffice it to say 1) I did very little of the talking, and 2) what the grumpy old guy had to say was scurrilous, maybe even slanderous, certainly vindictive, and loaded with invective.  Perhaps he just needed to unload.  His name was soon called, thank the Good Lord, and I hope he felt better.  (But noting, though not hearing, the talking between him and the poor girl at the cashier's counter, I suspect he hadn't yet finished dumping on his world and anyone who intersected it.)

So I pray for myself that when I am grumpy, and yes, I am sometimes grumpy, I will not make someone else miserable.  What did Mama say?  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Or something like that.










Too, the weather has finally ended the growing season.  This is the end.

No comments: