Monday, April 22, 2013

Reclamation

Dick and Heide started the process of reclamation of their home.  This promises to be a long process.

 The front-loader drove through the water and the lawn to rescue Heide and JJ.

 The flower beds are mud covered; the driveway still holds water.

\
Step inside!   Squish!

 You may see the water lines on the cabinet doors.

 Muddy, ruined display cases.

Sofa soaked.  So are the magazines.

Just a sample.  The amount of work yet to be done is incredible.  These people will likely be out of their home for sixty days.

Should I be celebrating whilst my friends are suffering?  This is blog post Number 1500 on String Too Short to Tie.

10 comments:

Lin said...

Oh NO! Those poor people. :( Will they stay with you during that time? The yard will recover, but I'm sure they are very discouraged.

Sharkbytes said...

That is going to be a tough job to slog through. Condolences.

Shelly said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for them. I well remember how endless the cleanup from a flood can be. I hope it goes well.

And congratulations! 1500 is incredible. I haven't even hit 200 yet.

Vee said...

Congratulations on all of those posts to the person who once said, " Nah, I don't think I'll ever blog" - or something like that.

Tell Dick and Heide I'm really sorry this has happened to them. How traumatic!

Secondary Roads said...

Congrats on another milestone reached. Condolences to Dick and Heide.

vanilla said...

Lin, they took an apartment short term at a retirement village. We enjoyed their company, but they moved this morning.

Shark, tough, indeed. And what makes it tougher is that all the neighbors have the same problems.

Shelly, sorry you had to go through that. Hope it stays strictly in your rear view mirror!
The difference between your blogging and mine is that mine consists of whatever pops into my mind, whereas yours is a series of well-thought through and beautifully written stories.

Vee, once bitten, totally infected, I guess. I'll pass along the message.

Chuck, and I thank you. Maybe I'll stay around a while yet.

Anonymous said...

I hope they had flood insurance! But like they say - stuff can be replaced, people can't...

vanilla said...

Grace, they do have. Our community is thankful that there was no loss of life.

Pearl said...

Oh, those poor people. What a mess...

Pearl

vanilla said...

Pearl, indeed. Two octogenarians slogging around in there, sorting and packing and throwing out...

I just plumb wore out; but tomorrow is another day!