Saturday, April 20, 2013

Flood Update

Richard called me mid-morning yesterday and reported that the water was entering their domicile.  We made arrangements for me to try to pick them up, though we knew all concerned would have to wade to the meeting point.

I got the car to within three and a half blocks.  There was some dry ground on which to walk, but a lot of wading in water up to the crotch was required.  (I hope my shoes recover-- they are my old stand-bys.)  Did I mention that the air temperature was 37oF?  Anyway, when I got to the appointed spot a city employee on a front-loader told me that Dick and Heide had already been evacuated.  He took me back to my car.

Without going into a lot of dull detail, I can report that Heide and Dick did arrive at our house.  We are so thankful that we have space to accommodate friends in need of assistance.  They have no idea how long it will be before their home is habitable again.  Flood recovery typically takes time.

Meanwhile, we are enjoying their company, and the company of JJ the Wiener Dog.

9 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, I'm glad they got out safely and have a place to stay with you. I'm glad JJ the Weiner Dog is safe too!

Gees, all this flooding is BAD! :(

Jim said...

Rain, rain, go away.

Good on you for helping your friends while they deal with this mess.

Secondary Roads said...

A friend in need . . .

We've been on the receiving end of such hospitality during extended power outages. But that was before we installed the generator in the barn.

Shelly said...

Oh, my- I'm so glad things are OK. You left a drought stricken place for a flood inundated place! Be careful and safe~

vanilla said...

Lin, too much water in the wrong places. Sigh.

Jim, with any luck the next rain won't shove the water out of its proper course!

Chuck, true enough that people need each other.

Shelly, a little more equitable distribution of moisture would be desirable.

Vee said...

How wonderful to have good friends that respond during times of need. They are lucky to have you close-by.

vanilla said...

Vee, it is good to have friends. These folks do a lot for us. Though the water is down, it is only now that their real ordeal begins.

Sharkbytes said...

Glad they have someone to take them in. You are good folks.

Anonymous said...

Shark, we could not truly live were it not for friends.