Monday, February 13, 2012

Oscar Mayer Entertains

The heart within the boy within me leaped with excitement when we drove into the super market parking lot Saturday morning.
These old eyes beheld a wonderful sight and transmitted the message to the boy. There directly in front of the store was the Wienermobile! On two different occasions in the past, I have passed, or been passed by, the Wienermobile as we traversed one of America’s interstate highways. But this is the first time I ever had an opportunity to view the vehicle up close and personal, so to speak.

Present were three wholesome and attractive young ladies, smiling, greeting the crowd and handing out mementos, trinkets by which the happy people might remember their visit. The side-door of the vehicle was open so that we could stick our heads inside and look around. There was a strap across the door suggesting that to tread within was not permitted.

This particular Mobile is in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Wienermobile, and of course, it is not the same vehicle with which Oscar Mayer started this advertising ploy. In fact, the Wienermobile has gone through numerous permutations, and there was a display bulletin board on which pictures of a dozen of these traveling billboards were displayed.

I came away with this pretty little sticker and a Wienermobile whistle! Yet I regretted that I had forgot to fasten my camera on my belt this morning.

6 comments:

Shelly said...

I have seen it once and well know the childlike joy it fills a person with. So glad you all chanced upon it~

Jim said...

25 years ago, a friend of mine had a chance to be part of the Wienermobile crew. I can't remember whether they turned her down or she turned them down, but as she looks at the opportunity in the rear-view mirror (so to speak), she has no regrets.

Anonymous said...

What no free frankfurters?

vanilla said...

Shelly, it is fun, isn't it?

Jim, the job appears to me to entail too many hours on the road, too many stark parking lots, and too many people. Your friend was no doubt better off having taken a different "road."

Grace, no; free whistle *wheeeet* but no free food.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I've seen it on the highway, but never up close

vanilla said...

Shark, it looks much larger up close than it does when it zips past on the highway!