Friday, February 24, 2012

Again With the Shopping

Sometime last summer I posted a thing about entering the store with BBBH while she shopped. I did it again yesterday. The temperature was in the mid-eighties and by mid-afternoon we were needing a change in scenery. We decided a scooter ride into town would liven up the day, and she decided that stopping in at a boutique, or two, or three, would be even better.
The first shop could not be characterized as upscale, but it certainly has an appeal to the denizens of the neighborhood in which it is located. As Beautiful shopped, I wandered around inside the store making silent observations about the state of the culture. Then I saw this.
I have photographed shoes in stores before. No, I do not have a foot-fetish, nor even a shoe-fetish. But sometimes I am amazed. Now understand that I grew up in an era in which it was standard behavior for the ladies to ruin their feet by the wearing of "heels" meaning high heels. Many a mangled metatarsal and heaven alone knows how many hammer toes were the result of the practice. But there seemed, mostly in the sixties and seventies, to descend upon the pulchritudinous portion of the population a modicum of good sense, and sensible shoes, a.k.a. flats seemed to become quite acceptable.
But that era seems to be over. The granddaughters of these sensible people seem to have reverted to the nonsense that once was, but with a vengeance.
Dolly Parton was once asked why she wore five-inch heels. She responded, "Because I can't find six-inch heels." Well, take heart Dolly. It seems that you might be able to find those here in Texas.
Just before we left this shop, a lady walked in wearing a pair of these things which she clearly must have purchased here. Now I was amazed, for she did not wobble, teeter, or fall on her face. Quite to the contrary, she strode in, fully confident in her ability to walk that tightrope. Amazing!
I really was planning to do a little story about our shopping tour, but it has turned into a shoe story, and time's up.

12 comments:

Shelly said...

I love heels myself, but some of those look like they push the bounds of safety!

Lin said...

Those make my feet hurt just to look at them!

While they are lovely to look at, wearing those shoes is an art form. You really have to get used to walking in them.

No, thanks. I like a heel, but nowhere near that high! Men are lucky they don't have these options.

vanilla said...

Shelly, they do elevate the wearer! Where are the "bounds of safety"?

Lin, are the little girls who get into Mama's shoe closet and clomp around in her heels more likely to be the ones to wear these as adults?

Anonymous said...

Ah, me....I so mourn for the days when I wore 3-inch stilettos every day of my life, and occasionally 4-inch stilettos. Gorgeous sexy shoes worn with fishnets and lace stockings - leather skirts and silk t-shirts...You'd be surprised - I had a pair of plain black Sasha of London 3 inch heels that were so comfortable I use to say I could walk to California in them.

Nowadays walking is not my best skill and I'm confined to my purple Pumas...

vanilla said...

Grace, Terry DeHavilland (UK shoe designer) has said, "people say they're bad for the feet but they're good for the mind. What's more important?" Says it all, doesn't it?

All Ladies, Lovers of Heels, here's an interesting article in which an engineer has done the math. No, it isn't about broken ankles. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_spike_high_stiletto_heels_damage_floors_and_the_real_math_and_Mojo

vanilla said...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_spike_high_stiletto_heels_damage_floors_and_the_real_math_and_Mojo

Vee said...

At one time I wore the 3" heels. Now just looking at them makes my back hurt.

vanilla said...

Vee, I daresay. You came back down to earth, sot to speak.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Never have, never will...

vanilla said...

Shark, great good sense. I would expect nothing less.

momto8 said...

my daughters were these kinds of things!! not me....I am flats all the way!!

vanilla said...

momto8, sensible woman, sensible shoes. The kids are going to do what they are going to do!