Sunday, August 20, 2017

"They"

The ubiquitous "They" have done it again.  This time they have hijacked my church.  Please understand that no one, but no one including Satan himself can hijack The Church, the Body of Christ.  Jesus said, "On this Rock (the confession that Jesus is the Christ) I will build my Church and nothing can prevail against it."

I am writing here of the congregation of people who refer to the earthly building and its organization as "their church."  Many of these people belong to The Church, some do not.  That judgment is reserved solely to the One whose blood was shed for the remission of our sins.  I have attended this church for more than three decades.  I was baptized in the baptistry in that building, dunked by the pastor who was in the water with me.  That practice has been exchanged for a dunking in a horse tank placed on stage, presumably to save the pastor from the inconvenience of having to change his/her clothes.  That's okay; it is not solely what I am "on" about.

Note that I referred to a "stage."  That is the area once known as a platform on which stood a pulpit from which the minister delivered the Word.  And where is the altar, or mourner's bench?  There once was an organ and a piano on the platform as well.  They have been replaced by a drum set and wires and amplifiers and electronic instruments of one sort or another.  And the lighting.  One cannot have a weekly rock concert without adequate lights and background.  Huge screens on which is projected the seven-word choruses which are sung over and over serve as backdrop.

The pews are gone. In their place there are beautifully padded sturdy, comfortable chairs.  The hymnals are gone.  Charles Wesley, Fanny Crosby, Isaac Watts.  All gone.

How came these changes to be?  It is my opinion that no person or group of persons set out deliberately to hijack the church.  Like most change, short a violent explosion, the theft took place incrementally, the planning resulting in unintended consequences.  Then one Sunday morning we arrived to worship and discovered that our church was gone.  We mourn for it, but praise God! Jesus is still on the throne and He is still in love with His bride.  He will shepherd her, guide her to safety with Him for eternity

Now the issue is, being in the habit of corporate worship on Sunday mornings, where to?
 
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.  --Jesus Christ

6 comments:

Grace said...

From the photos and links you have posted I wondered about how you felt about your physical "church'. I'm not a church-goer anymore but I know I wouldn't like the modern set-up. There is something so comforting in a classic church building - dark wood, stained glass windows, an elevated altar with the two podiums. The quiet, the feeling of being protected and safe. The low light when the sanctuary is not in active use - back in the old days when churches were always open, I always found it soothing and emotionally refreshing to slip into any open church, sit in the sanctuary and just - breathe. I have my old Pilgrim hymnal and I do like paging through and singing the old hymns to myself...No choir in robes? I couldn't bear it - church without everyone singing? No - I'll stay home and sing by myself then.

vanilla said...

Grace, I guess I revealed a good bit about my thinking on the subject. I appreciate your sharing of the feelings of protection and safety you felt in the quiet of a sanctuary even when unoccupied by "others." I feel the church (building) should be a sanctuary, a place where one may go as refuge from the turmoil of the world and commune with The Creator. When the venue takes on the atmosphere of the world, I sometimes wonder where the Lord finds refuge? This should be the House of the Lord. May you be blessed and find peace in your heart.

Lin said...

I know this all too well. It's sad, isn't it, that now Jesus has be amplified and jazzed up for us to be interested? Ugh. No thanks. We spent many years trying to find God in churches around town that felt they needed to do this to get people in the door. We finally gave up. I find him in nature and in the good people who surround me...the wooly worm on the path, the coyote that pops out of the wood....all things quiet and peaceful.

vanilla said...

Lin, what Jesus does for us needs no jazzing up but rather sober reflection on and joyous acceptance of his love. His creation does speak to us, and truly good people reflect his love and care.

Vee said...

Comfortable seats - the better to sleep on. Loud music designed with the startle factor in mind - the better to keep one awake. Is this known as a dichotomy?

More seriously, I find the best fit for me is Catholic Mass. I find peace in the sound of God's Word being read to a listening congregation, the hymns that teach, the corporate and priestly prayers, and the solemn affirmation of The Sacrifice as presented in Christ's words. But, alas, I don't like going to church by myself and have to believe that a house divided is not a good thing.

vanilla said...

Vee, internally inconsistent; incoherent. Oh, wait that describes. . .