Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Conversation: Not so random

Last evening I was talking on the phone with my brother-in-law who was telling me about his recent hospitalization.  Glenn is 92 years of age, retired military.  Served 22 years in the 101st Airborne and 82nd Airborne, WWII, German Occupation, Korea.  That's background.  The conversation:

Glenn: I'm lying in bed, flat on my back, lady comes in.

Lady:  How are you?

Glenn:  Why don't you tell me.  I'm in the hospital, for heaven's sake.

Lady:  Would you like for the chaplain to stop by for a visit?

Glenn:  Oh, hell no.  I'm not in the hospital to visit with people I don't know.  I came here to get well.

vanilla:  (laughing my butt off)

Glenn:  It wasn't really that funny.

6 comments:

Grace said...

Yes, it was that funny. At least the lady didn't say "How are WE this morning?" Don'tcha just hate that 'we' stuff. Always reminds me of the punchline to the Lone Ranger/Tonto joke.

vanilla said...

Grace, hardly a more condescending formulation than the "How are we?" from a supposed health professional. Yet it seems reserved for toddlers and the elderly, for the most part.

As in, "What do you mean 'we,' Paleface?"

Secondary Roads said...

It seemed that funny to me.

vanilla said...

Chuck, me too. Guess not so much to the patient.

Vee said...

I laughed.

vanilla said...

Vee, good, because I certainly did.