Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Toad 2015

Last Tuesday I wrote about the year of the toad.  Although I showed you some pictures, I had none of this year's amphibian crop.

This time I had my camera.  The little guy was resting on the window sill of our sun porch.


Then he hopped into the mulch.


Vanilla dropped a quarter for scale.


There were actually two of these in this corner but I couldn't get them both in the same frame. 

Word of the day:  Fowler's toad, because I think these may be such, but I am not sure. 
  •  Saturday I posed a "mystery" regarding Uncle Bill Lawson.  I found this in the Dallas, Texas city directory for 1884 :  Lawson, William H., shoemkr Hunstable Boot & Shoe Co., r 107 Bryan.

7 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, he's tiny! He's very handsome though...and I imagine doing his job of helping to rid the windowsills of bugs.

Vee said...

He is a little guy. I would not have realized that had you not put the quarter beside him.

Toads are okay yard mates, but I'm having a little difficulty with working up the courage to be in my flower beds since I spotted a long black snake slithering into the mulch.

vanilla said...

Lin, "doing his job" is one of the reasons we like these little fellows.

Vee, your little snake is just doing its job and it won't hurt you. But I would have the same heart-stopping reaction you do were it to slither in front of me!

Secondary Roads said...

Around here, we're always glad to see their cousins.

Grace said...

We all know I like frogs, even toads. When we lived in Vermont, one of my husband's kids caught a frog in the backyard and brought it into the house cupped in her closed hands. She put her hands up close to my face and said "Look what I found Grace" and quickly opened her hands. I'm sure she thought I would be all shrieking and scared. Instead I said "Oh how cute" and took the frog from her. The look of disappoint on her face was priceless.

As to Uncle Bill, I thought looking him up on a census would work, unfortunately they are not available unless you pay to view them. The one thing about Texas is they make their public records easily accessible. I've done some interesting research in the Texas archives.

Grace said...

I suppose I should add that growing up in NYC we had frogs and snakes etc. They are hardy little creatures, I found my first frog (or perhaps it was a toad) in a vacant lot in the Bronx.

vanilla said...

Chuck, the amphibian and reptilian creatures that crawl upon the earth play an important role in the overall scheme of things.

Grace, you still treasure the thought of the look-on-her-face you inspired in the kid!

I find it a little unsettling that census records which are public records seem to be cornered and accessible only through genealogical research sites. How did that happen?