Thursday, August 26, 2010

Retrocommunication


Back in the day, there were no computers. The interwebby thing did not exist. Television was a dream in the minds of the vacuum tube inventors. Telephones, yes. They were bolted to the wall, or they stood on a desk looking like, well they defied description. The ringing of the phone was an event; and "wires" or telegrams were sure signs of tragic events in the lives of the senders. 89% of today's communications terminology had yet to be created. It may be 92%, but when one makes up statistics, accuracy is not guaranteed.
Pride of possession of a good fountain pen rivaled the pride that the young people today take in their itty-bitty hand-held communications devices. One should know better than to call them "phones" for, while one can use it to make a phone call, few actually do so. It is used for such a host of other tasks that I can only tell you that this old fountain-pen-using troglodyte does use it for phone calls. And for nothing else.
The stack of letters shown above were handwritten with a pen, delivered from one's place of residence to the home of the recipient by the United States Post Office. As you may note by the first-class stamp shown, the cost was three US cents. Mail delivery was effected Monday through Saturday, and it was brought to your door twice a day. I know. You are incredulous, unless you, too, can remember the day. Or unless you are so very young that you are thinking, "What do I care about the old poop and his day?"

8 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

I remember with pride when I finally owned a fountain pen. I had arrived! Then I upgraded and got one that used ink cartridges. It was a lot less messy. Wouldn't dare use one day. With my hand tremors, I'd make one horrible mess.

PS. I don't own a cell phone and the instrument is used only for calls, but the base unit has a built in digital answering machine.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hey, old poop! I too remember 3 cent stamps. I had a couple of real fountain pens, but quickly upgraded to cartridges, like Chuck.

vanilla said...

Chuck-- The siphon and the Quink bottle were a tricky combo, all right.

Shark-- That old, eh? Biggest problem I have today with the pen is finding ink for it.

Sharkbytes said...

This post is part of my current scavenger hunt. You should get some additional comments.

Emma Springfield said...

Sad to say, I also remember 3 Cent stamps. Postcard stamps for a penny. Oh my, I am old...

vanilla said...

Shark-- We welcome you here again. Did you win a prize?

Emma-- Guess we are all aging at the same rate! Thanks for the visit.

ian said...

wow- did i read the postal mark correctly- 1932? cool. i'd like to have stamp that vintage in my collection =]

vanilla said...

Ian-- 1932 is correct. It was a letter my mother sent to Dad shortly before they were married.
Please visit again!