Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nap

I love my naps prandial, both pre- and post-
But the one right at bedtime is the one I love the most.
Thirty-seven minutes into the hour-long show
I am suddenly unconscious then don’t you know
When I awaken the words I hear are “update you
On the Daybreak News. “
Oooh. Now wake up and get ready for bed
Where I shall lay my weary head
And wish the night away
Until dawning of the day
That I could go to sleep at night.
What’s the matter with me? This isn’t right.
Yet not to worry, for I’ll get up and dress
Have a cup or two of coffee, I guess,
Then I’ll be ready for the day’s first nap.
What? What? Spouse just shook me. Oh, snap.

(Notwithstanding the fact that nap rhymes with cap, chap, clap, crap, flap, gap, hap, lap, map, pap, rap, sap, slap, snap, tap, trap, whap, wrap, and zap, I could only come up with this pathetic doggerel; but you get the idea.) 

7 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, snap!
I love me a nap.
I do.

While I'm not nearly the poet you are, I do agree with the joys of a nap. Grace and I take a half hour each day to check out the back of our eyelids together.

Happy Nappy, Vanilla!

Shelly said...

I believe you could turn this into a rap-

Secondary Roads said...

But do you nap during prandium?

I love naps too, but not while eating.

In front of the TV is a different matter.

vanilla said...

Lin, naps a good. I mean, really good!

Shelly, having never been "into" rap, I never thought of that. And I am too sleepy to practice it anyway.

Chuck, I have yet to fall face forward onto the dinner plate, but I doubt I'll be surprised if (when) it happens.

Anonymous said...

Yup, my husband naps before bed time...also in the morning, after lunch, mid afternoon...it's no wonder he gets up at 4am! Me- I am always sleep deprived...

Sharkbytes said...

All too true! I can't tell you how many shows I've missed the last 10 minutes of. Very cute.

vanilla said...

Grace, your man and I seem to keep a similar schedule. Except I stay in bed later in the a.m.

Shark, that would be infuriating if the shows were interesting enough that one cared about how they end.