Thursday, December 10, 2020

"They" are Coming to Take Me Away, Hey, Hey

 People all too often reference the ubiquitous "they" when speaking of, well, politics, economics, the world in general,or whatever.  I sometimes ask, "Who is this 'they' of whom you speak?"  This question is usually not well-received, and that may be the principal reason I ask it.  The truth is almost every answer I have gotten provides a circular definition, which is to say it goes something like, "They are the ones who. . ." (want to rule the world, are trying to destroy the economy, etc, etc,)  Note the use of "they" to define "they."


The other day a lady used the "they" reference and I asked my question.  Her response:  "There really is a "they."  The implication was, and I know I received this message correctly, "If you weren't so dense you would understand that.  I pity you."

2 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Pity, because she knows "they" have their on eye on you.

vanilla said...

Chuck, indeed. The relentless eye that neither sleeps nor blinks. Ooooo- boogity.