Thursday, August 23, 2018

Why?

I am a fan of air conditioning.  Willis Carrier is my hero.  Yet I ask "Why?" is this wonderful convenience so often and so severely abused?  This is primarily in reference to public spaces.  How you use your unit in your own home  or in your automobile is  your business.  Enjoy.  But it is essential, at least in the Midwest where summer temperatures typically hover in the nineties that one carry a jacket or sweat shirt with him if he is planning a foray into a restaurant or public office.

Following a number of wonderful days in Kansas where the temperatures were often in the low nineties we headed homeward.  Typical Midwestern day, we stopped in Springfield, Illinois for an evening repast.  We were seated eight feet, literally eight feet, from the device pictured here.  Observe that  it is set calling for 70oF and that the thermometer component records 70oF.  I had to get up, go outside in the ninety degree heat, walk to my vehicle and get a jacket so that I could partake of my meal.  Hands were still cold, but my heart kept beating.


5 comments:

Lin said...

I have learned to always carry a sweater with me now. I guess everyone has a different level of hot or cold, but most times, I'm freezing! It's not just you.

Secondary Roads said...

Sylvia usually has a sweater or vest that can be shed or donned as need suggests. I suspect that the person that sets that thermostat works in the kitchen.

Vee said...

I notice that, kindly, you did not mention my church. The temperature is set (both summer and winter) for a huge congregation that would provide lots of body heat. Unfortunately, the big crowd never arrives.

Sharkbytes said...

Yeah... one wears a jacket indoors in the summer

vanilla said...

Lin, always have a sweater or jacket. Raincoat, too, as it turns out.

Chuck, you are probably right about the kitchen thing. I also thought of the possibility that discourages lingering, providing more table access during peak hours. But c'mon!

Vee, I did notice that it wasn't excessively warm in your sanctuary.

Sharkey, I had a sweatshirt on in my own home until two o'clock today. What is wrong with me?