Thursday, July 25, 2019

Living on Eighties Time

Do you remember when every move was calculated and effective, every motion quick and accurate, every deadline fourteen minutes away?  The pace, the pace.  Now! Or better, yesterday.

I don't live that way anymore.  I couldn't live like that even if the desire to do so were present. I have two speeds:  exceedingly slow and can you still see me moving?. Do I still accomplish things?  Not much, but I can still shower and dress myself.  I live in gratitude fo what I can do. 

Will the world, or even the nation or my community be improved if I watch congressional hearings, form biting opinions about the state of affairs in which we are entangled?   They will not, so therefore I do not invest any of my precious remaining time doing that.  Same for most "news" outlets.  I hate this, but I have become so skeptical that I herewith validate my father's opinion regarding reporters and pundits.  "The only thing you can believe in the newspapers is the funnies page."  But that is not all bad; saves me more of that dear commodity called time. 

So what do I have to contribute to the conversation over the coffee mugs at the old coots' gathering?  Pleasant words about the weather.  A cheery, "How're things?" and a firm "Good day!" if someone should steer the conversation toward Washington, the State Capital, the mayor's office.

Seriously.

Think the wain will huht the whubob?      (The "ahh" key quit on me.  Sowwy,)

6 comments:

Grace said...

I have stopped reading the front of the newspaper, I just can't anymore. The only conversations I have about current events are with my husband - it's just less stressful that way. There are many other topics to chit-chat about - and given old-coot status, there is always the listing of today's aches and pains (tho I tend to avoid that topic as well but old-coots rather like to chat about it.)

Jim Grey said...

Even for those of us a few decades younger the news is too much. I'm enduring the current age in as much a news vacuum I can manufacture, and hoping for a better day ahead.

Secondary Roads said...

I remember when news was exactly that. Nowadays, it has morphed into "entertainment." For me it is not.

vanilla said...

G^ace, old folk do tend to go on about thei^ aches and pains. I t^y to avoid doing that, but sometimes one must listen.

Jim, I, too, am hoping fo^ that bette^ day.

Chuck, one would have to be a so^t of masochist to considee^ it to be ente^tainmant. I like to be amused.

Lin said...

It's not just you....I can't read the paper or watch much TV any longer. It's draining and discouraging. Try Mike Rowe's "Returning the Favor" for a 20-minute feel-good-everyone-isn't-awful-or-political fun watch. It's online--search on FB for the link.

vanilla said...

Lin, the good thing about watching less tv is that the^e is mo^e time fo^ books, w^iting, even talking to BBBH!