Friday, November 23, 2018

Nonagenarian Mouse

Mickey Mouse turned 90 last week.  I noted the occasion but hadn't time to remark on it.

When Mickey was a mere lad of 16 or so, juvenile you see, I kept my stash of semi-forbidden (that is, frowned upon but not outright prohibited) comic books under the bed.  Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and their ducky cousins, Donald, Daisy, Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Uncle Scrooge, not neglecting to mention Goofy, were pals of mine.

Fast forward.  I was principal of an elementary school.  I helped the kids celebrate the Mouse's 50th birthday.  Here I sit today scarce comprehending that 40 years have passed since that day.

I can only wish that I could age as gracefully as that little rodent has done.


10 comments:

Lin said...

Is he 90 already??! Wow! And his empire never wanes--it is amazing how they keep his image alive and growing every day.

We were allowed to buy comic books for vacations. What a treat that was! There is a push now for "graphic novels"--which I abhor. They are taking the classics and turning them into comic books to get kids to read them. Oh, criminy.

Secondary Roads said...

If you want to age as gracefully as the mouse, I think you'll have to become a cartoon character. Imagine yourself a comic book hero. Works for me (to imagine that about you).

vanilla said...

Lin, I'm with you on the comic book classics thing. btw, How do you like the lapel pin I wear in my jacket? [silly ole man]

Chuck, okay, here's what we'll do. You imagine that for me, I'll imagine the same for you, and we'll both age gracefully and go out in a blaze of glory!

Grace said...

I think you have aged most gracefully and beautifully! (As for MM and Disney in general, I was never a fan...)

vanilla said...

Grace, comic books amused me when I was ten, twelve years old. I am not much a fan of what Disney has done to some stories via celluloid.

Secondary Roads said...

I like your plan, Vanilla. Let's do that for each other. I'll see you at that supper if not before.

Jono said...

Mickey sure ages well! As you do too, I imagine!

vanilla said...

Chuck, I am happy you are in. Plan in action. Looking forward to our next meeting, either "here" or "There."

Jono, Mickey doesn't change much physically, whereas I certainly have, but gracefully, I hope.

Vee said...

I did not realize Mickey turned 90. I'm trailing a little in age, but not that much.

vanilla said...

Vee, indeed the little varmint has been around a long time, even longer than either you or I.