Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Perhaps Not Brilliant,

But They were President.

 Here is a little treasure trove of presidential quotes, most of which I daresay the speaker wished back.


"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it." --BHO 2013  But if he was remorseful it took him a long time to get there, for he repeated this one over and over.

"Now I have his pecker in my pocket." --LBJ, 1965 of Ho Chi Minh when LBJ sent marines into Viet Nam.  Since Nam was eventually his undoing, the statement may have been a bit premature.

Not his words, but wearing a flight suit and under a banner reading, "Mission Accomplished" GWB, 2013 The number of casualties in Iraq had not yet reached the half-way point.

"Facts are stupid things."  RR 1988 The man was noted for his wit, but this one is more on the witless side.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."  WJC 1998 Well, of course it does.

"They misunderestimated me."  GWB 2000 And after all these years, he is still misunderestimated.

 "Well. I'm not a crook." RMN 1973 Really?

"When the President does it, that means it is not illegal."  RMN 1977 I suspect most Presidents think this way, they are just smart enough not to say it.

"I've now been in 57 states--I think one left to go."  BHO 2008 And the 58th is Obscurity.  Oh, when WILL he get there?

"The news is fake because so much of the news is fake."  DJT 2018 Circular reasoning much?  Might as well have said 'The news is fake because I say it is.'  Apologies to Humpty Dumpty.

"Oftentimes I don't seem to grasp that I am President."  WGH He may have been President, but not really Presidential.  (So which of them have been?  Or do we expect too much?)

"Things have never been more like the way they are today in history."  DDE I've yet to figure this one out.

If Abraham Lincoln were alive today he'd roll over in his grave."  GRF

The Almighty certainly never intended that people should travel at such breakneck speed." MVB That train had actually gone 15 miles per hour!  And old Martin may have been right on this one.

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."  GHWB Join the crowd, George.

"This is an impressive crowd: the haves, and the have-mores.  Some people call you the elite, I call you my base."  GWB 2000 Addressing a gathering of Elites; at least he recognized his base.

7 comments:

Sharkbytes said...

nice collection of oopsies.

vanilla said...

Sharkey, I suspect most of us have episodes of foot-in-mouth, but what fun when the blurb comes from the Most Powerful Man on Earth. 😀

Vee said...

This is why I never want to become a public speaker. I had hoped Biden would throw his hat in the ring this last round. He might have at least provided us with a laugh a week.

Our next trip will be a quest. I'm planning to find those hidden states. I'm so envious that there are states in our nation that only the elite have visited.

vanilla said...

Vee, Joe is always good for verbal entertainment. One of my favorites: "If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." Since he was speaking to a democratic house caucus, I'd guess his 30% was way too low, and I say that with absolute certainty.

Envy will get you every time. I'm afraid you will find it an expensive and in the end futile quest. Unless you are looking for the State of Obscurity.

Secondary Roads said...

I'd rather be right than president.

vanilla said...

Chuck, yes you would and I would, but i still think Henry Clay would rather have been President in spite of what he said.

Secondary Roads said...

I truly believe you are right about Henry. Oh, and us too.